This delightful dish will transport you to your favorite deli, offering a delectable combination of homemade tuna salad and gooey mozzarella cheese, all atop perfectly toasted French bread. You can even savor it with a slice of my homemade Amish White Bread for an extra special treat!
A New Twist on a Deli Classic
While every deli boasts its own version of the classic tuna melt sandwich, this open-faced recipe adds a unique twist with the addition of a fresh tomato relish. Now, you can confidently recreate this scrumptious delight from the comfort of your own home, any time of the year. Whether it’s the sweltering heat of summer or the chilly winters of Minnesota, this quick and easy-to-prepare sandwich is sure to please. The kids will absolutely love it too! For the ultimate experience, pair it with a steaming bowl of the best-ever homemade tomato soup.
Tuna Melt Recipe Tips
When preparing this tuna melt recipe, there are a few key recommendations to keep in mind. Additionally, there are some variables you can adjust to suit your taste preferences.
Tuna: Opt for canned tuna, whether in a can or foil packs. Remember to drain the liquid thoroughly before adding the additional ingredients. Too much moisture can result in a runny sandwich.
Cheese: While we use mozzarella in this recipe, feel free to experiment with other types such as Havarti, Muenster, Cheddar, or Provolone.
Bread: For a satisfying crunch, toast the bread before adding the tuna salad mixture, tomato, and cheese. Thick grain breads like French bread, hoagie rolls, or sourdough work best. Alternatively, you can elevate the experience with homemade bread, such as my Amish White Bread.
Butter: While butter adds flavor to the sandwich, you can opt for a lighter version by skipping it altogether. Toast the bread dry or lightly spray it with extra virgin olive oil.
Mayonnaise: In the eternal debate between mayonnaise and Miracle Whip, we advocate for mayonnaise in this recipe. Miracle Whip’s sweeter taste may not blend well with the celery salt seasoning.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Tuna Melt with Tomato Relish
Start by chopping and slicing the following ingredients:
- Pickles (finely diced) – used in both the tuna salad mixture and tomato relish.
- Red onion (finely diced)
- Cilantro (finely diced)
- Shallots (finely diced)
- Garlic (minced)
- Tomato (sliced and finely diced – used twice)
- Bread (sliced at an angle)
Prepare the Tomato Relish:
In a small mixing bowl, combine the diced tomato, pickles, red onion, and cilantro. Set aside and chill while you proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Butter and Toast the Bread:
Toast the bread for approximately 5-7 minutes on each side until it turns golden brown. Avoid excessive browning since it will go back in the oven with the other ingredients.
Prepare the Tuna Salad:
In a medium bowl, combine the drained tuna, mayonnaise, celery salt, remaining pickles, shallots, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Assemble the Tuna Melts:
Place a scoop of the tuna salad mixture on each toasted bread slice.
Top the tuna mixture with a slice of mozzarella cheese on each bread slice.
Return the baking pan to the oven and broil for about 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese becomes golden and bubbly.
Once done, remove the pan from the oven and generously garnish each tuna melt with the prepared tomato relish.
Serve immediately and enjoy the tantalizing flavors of the Tuna Melt with Tomato Relish!
- ½ cup (90 g) diced tomato
- ¼ cup (61 g) diced dill pickles
- ¼ cup (40 g) diced red onion
- ½ teaspoon finely diced cilantro
- 1 loaf French bread (9 inches)
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) drained tuna
- ½ cup (119.5 g) mayonnaise
- ¼ tablespoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely diced dill pickle
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the diced tomato, pickles, red onion, and cilantro. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice the French bread into 1-inch thick sandwich slices.
- Place the bread slices on a baking pan and lightly coat the top of each slice with melted butter.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then flip the slices, coat the other side with melted butter, and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the slices turn light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the drained tuna, mayonnaise, celery salt, shallot, diced pickle, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Remove the bread from the oven and spread the tuna mixture evenly onto each slice.
- Top each slice with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Return the baking pan to the oven and switch to the broil setting. Broil for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and generously garnish each tuna melt with the prepared tomato relish.
- Serve immediately and savor the irresistible Tuna Melt with Tomato Relish.
Enjoy this delightful sandwich as a satisfying meal or a tasty snack any time of the day!