Tomato soup is a classic comfort food that never fails to satisfy. This recipe will take your taste buds on a journey with its rich flavors and velvety smooth texture. And to elevate it even further, we’ll show you how to make delicious Grilled Cheese Croutons that will take this soup to a whole new level.
Making homemade tomato soup is easier than you might think. It starts by combining all the ingredients in a pot and mashing them up a bit. Then, it’s time to blend everything down to your desired consistency using either a blender or an immersion blender. You have full control over the thickness and texture of the soup by adjusting how much you blend. I usually prefer to leave some texture, so I blend about half of the mixture.
The Best Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
I love using all-natural ingredients, especially the tomatoes that we canned from our own garden. There’s something special about using homegrown produce in your recipes. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend it. In our garden, we have over 75 tomato plants each year, so canning tomatoes becomes quite an event. We can a large quantity of stewed tomatoes, and the remaining ones are used for ketchup, spaghetti sauce, and salsa.
Grilled Cheese Croutons: A Perfect Pairing
To make Grilled Cheese Croutons, you don’t need much effort or time. It’s a simple yet impactful addition to your tomato soup.
Start by preparing grilled cheese sandwiches as you normally would. Then, cut the sandwiches into bite-size pieces. Place these pieces on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper, and bake them at 350°F for about five minutes. This will give you crispy and flavorful croutons. If you prefer a gooey texture, you can skip the baking step.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 cans of whole tomatoes packed in juice (or two quart jars of whole canned tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 slices large sandwich bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook while stirring frequently until the onion turns translucent, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the whole tomatoes and their juice. Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher until no pieces bigger than two inches remain.
- Add brown sugar and bread to the pot, and bring the soup to a boil. Stir occasionally until the bread is completely saturated and starts to break down, which should take around 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender or use an immersion blender if you prefer. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and process until the soup is smooth and creamy, which usually takes 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer this portion to a large bowl and repeat the process with the remaining soup and olive oil.
- Return all the blended soup to the pot and add two cups of chicken broth (or enough to reach your desired consistency).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy the Heartwarming Tomato Soup
Now that your ultimate tomato soup is ready, it’s time to serve it piping hot with a handful of Grilled Cheese Croutons on top. The combination of flavors and textures will tantalize your palate and provide you with the ultimate comfort food experience.