Immerse yourself in the unparalleled delight of this decadent homemade hot cocoa elixir—a recipe that guarantees the most sumptuous and velvety hot cocoa experience you’ve ever encountered. Bid farewell to store-bought powder packets, as this recipe is poised to be your ultimate choice for warming up on chilly days.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Milk: Opt for whole milk to achieve a luxurious and velvety texture. If adventurous, explore alternatives such as skim milk or non-dairy options, bearing in mind that substitutions may influence the taste and texture of the hot cocoa.
- Cocoa Powder: Select high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, or experiment with Dutch-processed cocoa for a nuanced flavor profile and a deeper color.
- Marshmallows: Elevate your hot cocoa by introducing homemade mini marshmallows directly into the mix. This results in an extravagantly rich and frothy cocoa with a velvety texture. In the absence of marshmallows, consider crafting your own for a personalized touch.
Can I Make This Crockpot Hot Cocoa?
Absolutely! Combine all the ingredients, including marshmallows, in your crockpot and let it simmer on low for 1-2 hours. For larger gatherings, doubling the recipe ensures the best crockpot hot cocoa experience.
Can I Make Hot Chocolate Ahead of Time?
Certainly! After preparing the hot chocolate, store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Utilize an airtight container or a lidded glass jar for optimal freshness. When ready to indulge, reheat on the stovetop or simmer on low in a slow cooker.
How to Serve Hot Chocolate
While this hot chocolate boasts unparalleled flavor on its own, you can elevate the experience by experimenting with additional flavors:
- Enrich it with hazelnut, caramel sauce, cinnamon, or nutmeg.
- For an adult variation, introduce a splash of brandy to your mug of hot chocolate.
- Crown it with a lavish dollop of whipped cream for an extra layer of indulgence.
- 4 cups (980 g) whole milk
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (29.5 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups (75 g) miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until the marshmallows are melted, approximately 10 minutes. (For a richer flavor, consider simmering for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.)
- Remove from heat and pour into mugs.