These Smokey Sweet Heat Baked Beans are the perfect combination of sweet and heat, slow-smoked to perfection, and loaded with thick-cut peppered bacon.
Made with canned pork and beans for a quick and easy shortcut, this recipe is cooked entirely in a cast iron skillet, making clean-up a breeze. With a mouthwatering blend of BBQ sauce, dark brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and molasses, these baked beans are a must-have for your next BBQ feast.
- 6 slices thick-cut peppered bacon, halved
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 jalapenos (or 1 green bell pepper for less heat), seeds and stems removed, diced
- 2 28-ounce cans of pork and beans
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Preheat your smoker to 250 degrees F using any mild or fruit wood, such as pecan.
In a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon pieces for 2-3 minutes per side, until they have rendered fat but are not crispy throughout. Remove the bacon pieces to a plate with a paper towel on top to drain, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the diced onions and jalapenos to the skillet with the bacon grease. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until they have softened and the onions are slightly translucent.
- Pour in the canned pork and beans, BBQ sauce, dark brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and molasses.
- Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Top the beans with the halved slices of bacon, and place the skillet on the smoker. Close the lid and smoke for 3 hours, or until the flavors have melded together and the beans have absorbed the delicious smoky essence.
- Remove the beans from the smoker and allow them to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy the perfect blend of sweet and heat, with the smoky aroma of the bacon in every spoonful.
The cast iron skillet is the star of this recipe, allowing you to cook and serve the dish all in one pan. Make sure your skillet is well seasoned before cooking and lightly coat it with oil after cooking to maintain its seasoning.
These Smokey Sweet Heat Baked Beans are the ultimate BBQ side dish, loaded with flavor from the slow-smoked bacon, BBQ sauce, dark brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and molasses. The combination of sweet and heat creates a perfect balance, making these beans a side dish fantasy come true. With a quick and easy preparation using canned pork and beans and cooked entirely in a cast iron skillet on the smoker, this recipe is perfect for any BBQ feast.