Discover the timeless delight of Vanilla Pound Cake – a sweet, dense masterpiece made with ease and baked to perfection in just 60 minutes.
A Journey Through Time with Vanilla Pound Cake
Vanilla Pound Cake, a cherished recipe dating back to the 18th century, encapsulates the essence of simplicity. Crafted from fundamental ingredients – butter, sugar, all-purpose flour, and eggs – this classic has evolved. Our modernized version introduces wholesome milk and a dash of vanilla extract, enriched with baking powder and a hint of salt to enhance the cake’s texture.
Embrace the joy of creating this pound cake on weekends. It’s the ideal addition to brunch or an accompaniment to a steaming cup of coffee when friends and family gather. For a refreshing twist, experiment by substituting the vanilla extract with orange extract, then dust the top with powdered sugar and a sprinkle of orange zest.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the origin of the name Pound Cake?
The name Pound Cake reflects its historical ingredients. Initially, the recipe called for a pound of each essential component: eggs, granulated sugar, butter, and all-purpose flour. While contemporary recipes may not adhere to these exact measurements, the name persists, honoring this dense, sweet cake.
How can I ensure my Vanilla Pound Cake remains moist?
To prevent your pound cake from turning dry, consider replacing the milk with buttermilk. The acidity in buttermilk collaborates with gluten to produce a softer cake texture. Alternatively, you can introduce sour cream or cream cheese to enhance the cake’s moisture. While this may deviate from the classic pound cake, it aligns with the modern version, delivering a softer crumb.
What are some delightful additions to Pound Cake?
Elevate your pound cake by incorporating delightful ingredients like chocolate chips, pecans with a maple glaze, walnuts, orange zest, cinnamon, or cream cheese.
Tips for Crafting Vanilla Pound Cake
- After complete cooling, adorn your pound cake with powdered sugar or glaze.
- Bring your ingredients to room temperature. Allow the butter and sugar to blend until they achieve a light and fluffy consistency, which takes approximately 3 minutes. This step is vital to the pound cake’s texture, so exercise patience.
- Exercise caution when mixing the dough toward the end to prevent the cake from becoming overly dense.
- Avoid removing the pound cake from the loaf pan immediately. Allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes or until it reaches room temperature before gently flipping it out of the pan.
- Should you desire a more decorative cake, consider using a bundt pan. Prior to pouring the batter, grease and flour the bundt pan.
- Embellish the finished cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, a touch of cinnamon and honey drizzle, or a delicate dusting of confectioners’ sugar.
- Use butter and flour to prepare your pan instead of cooking spray, as the latter may hinder the cake from fully rising.
- Employ a toothpick to verify the cake’s doneness. If it emerges clean, the cake is ready. Be cautious of over-baking, as it can lead to dryness.
How to Store Vanilla Pound Cake
- Serve: Once your pound cake has cooled, remove it from the loaf pan, slice, and serve with your preferred toppings or alongside ice cream.
- Store: Seal tightly at room temperature, and your pound cake will remain fresh for 3-4 days. Refrigeration is generally not recommended due to the cake’s dense nature, which reduces its susceptibility to staling.
- Freeze: Vanilla Pound Cake is an excellent candidate for pre-preparation and freezing. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Alternatively, prepare multiple loaves using this recipe, slice them into individual portions, and freeze each slice. To preserve freshness, wrap each slice meticulously in plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil, ensuring no air penetrates.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and generously grease and flour an 8×4 inch loaf pan.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until the mixture achieves a light and fluffy consistency, which typically takes about 2-3 minutes.
- At medium speed, incorporate the vanilla extract and eggs, adding them one at a time, followed by the milk until fully blended.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing just until combined. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes, until the cake achieves a golden hue and a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean.
Experience the sheer delight of Vanilla Pound Cake, a symphony of sweet simplicity. This timeless creation, made effortlessly in just an hour, epitomizes the essence of comfort and taste. Whether savored with coffee, served at brunch, or as a canvas for diverse toppings, it’s a culinary journey well worth embarking upon. Enjoy!