Indulge in the fiery thrill of Buffalo Chicken Tacos, a flavor-packed symphony where flour tortillas take a spicy plunge, cradling chicken bathed in buffalo sauce, mingling with shredded cheese, and sizzling to a golden brown perfection. Brace yourself for a deliciously messy adventure with every bite!
Ingredients & Innovative Twists
Chicken: Savory chicken breasts, seasoned to perfection, undergo a slow cooker transformation in buffalo sauce. Opting for convenience? Utilize pre-cooked shredded chicken or repurpose leftover rotisserie chicken, heating it up with buffalo sauce.
Buffalo Sauce: Distinguishable from hot sauce, buffalo sauce flaunts a unique blend of hot sauce, butter, and seasonings. Whether store-bought or homemade, it’s the secret behind that signature tangy and buttery flavor.
Tortillas: Seek out 6-inch flour tortillas for that soft taco magic. Feel free to experiment with sizes or even venture into crafting your own tortillas for a personal touch.
Cheese: Elevate your tacos with mild cheddar, or explore alternatives like Monterey Jack, Gouda, or crumbled blue cheese.
Green Onions: Introduce green onions to the mix for a mild, sweet contrast, balancing the spicy buffalo kick with a touch of freshness.
Slow Cooked Chicken Euphoria
Begin the culinary journey by letting the chicken luxuriate in buffalo sauce within the slow cooker for around 4 hours on low or 1 1/2 to 2 hours on high. Ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F before expertly shredding it. The shredded chicken rejoins the buffalo sauce, soaking up its essence.
Can I Use Shredded Chicken That Has Been Already Cooked?
Absolutely! If time is of the essence, shredded cooked chicken or leftovers from a rotisserie chicken seamlessly blend with buffalo sauce. A stint on the stovetop ensures a quick reheating, eliminating the need for the slow cooker.
Serving Suggestions: Customize Your Culinary Fiesta
Prepare for a deliciously messy affair! Dunking tortillas into buffalo sauce before frying intensifies the flavor. While ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing is a classic pairing, unleash your creativity with toppings like avocado, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, diced tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, or red onions.
How to Store Buffalo Chicken Tacos
While assembled tacos shine when served fresh, the buffalo chicken steals the show. Store the cooked buffalo chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator, promising up to 3-4 days of flavorful enjoyment. Freeze shredded buffalo chicken for a delightful encore up to 3 months.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups buffalo sauce
- 12 small flour tortillas, about 6-inches in size
- 1 ½ cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 green onions, diced (about 4 tablespoons)
- Season both sides of each chicken breast with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- In the bowl of your slow cooker, add chicken and buffalo sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 1 ½ hours, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove the chicken, shred it using two forks, and return it to the slow cooker.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet to medium-high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dip a tortilla into the buffalo sauce in the slow cooker and place it in the skillet.
- While cooking, top half with shredded chicken, cheese, and green onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes, fold, flip, and cook until browned.
- Repeat with the remaining tacos and serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing and extra buffalo sauce for dipping.
Embark on a journey of bold flavors with these Buffalo Chicken Tacos—a fusion of spice, crunch, and irresistible messiness!