Discover the secret to unparalleled apple pie perfection with this Homemade Apple Pie Filling that surpasses any store-bought alternative. Ideal for crafting exquisite homemade apple pies, delightful desserts, or as a delectable ice cream topping, this recipe captures the essence of fall’s apple season. Choose your favorite apple variety to customize this filling to your taste buds’ delight!
- Apples: Optimal for firmness during baking, Granny Smith apples lead the pack in creating a filling that avoids turning mushy and retains its shape. Alternatively, experiment with tart apple options such as Honeycrisp, McIntosh, Braeburn, or Pink Lady. For a sweeter twist, Gala, Fuji, Golden, or Red Delicious apples work wonders.
- Spices: Elevate the classic apple pie flavor by infusing warm cinnamon and nutmeg into the filling, creating a harmonious blend with the apples.
How to Make Apple Pie with Filling
Once the tantalizing pie filling has cooled, embark on the pie-making adventure. Lay an unbaked pie crust in the pie pan, generously fill it with the luscious apple pie filling, and crown it with the second crust. Crimp the edges, create venting slits on the top crust, and let the magic unfold in the oven at 425°F (220°C) for 40-45 minutes. Serve your masterpiece with a dollop of homemade whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
How to Store
For optimal storage, ensure the pie filling cools completely before preserving its apple-infused goodness. Seal the filling in jars and refrigerate for up to a week. For longer-term storage in the freezer, label and date the containers, or opt for a freezer bag, extending the pie filling’s lifespan to a satisfying three months. Detailed labeling and dating are essential for freezer-stored batches.
- 10 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 6 tablespoons (90 g) water
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sliced apples and water. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the butter and allow it to melt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and nutmeg.
- Add the sugar mixture to the saucepan. Stir constantly for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow the filling to cool.
- Store the cooled filling or incorporate it into the recipe of your choice.