Discover the simplicity and convenience of making flavorful Lemon Garlic Chicken in your Instant Pot. This recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you need a quick and delicious meal. The chicken turns out tender and juicy, bathed in a buttery lemon garlic sauce. With the help of the trusty pressure cooker, you can have dinner on the table in just 30 minutes!
Why Instant Pot?
As a parent with a busy schedule, I understand the need for quick and easy meal solutions. That’s why I rely on the Instant Pot regularly in my household. If you’re a fan of this versatile appliance, you’ll love trying out this Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken recipe. It’s a hassle-free dinner option that doesn’t compromise on taste.
Ingredients for Lemon Garlic Chicken:
- Boneless chicken thighs, skinless or with skin
- Garlic powder for extra flavor
- Olive oil to prevent sticking
- Butter for added richness
- Onion for a sweet flavor
- Garlic cloves, sliced or minced
- Italian seasoning to enhance the taste
- Lemon for its zest and sweetness
- Chicken broth to infuse juiciness
- Optional: Chopped parsley for garnish
How to Make Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken:
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Set your Instant Pot to the Sauté function (Normal setting) and add olive oil.
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot and allow it to sear on each side for 2 minutes until golden brown. This step helps seal in the juices and adds a crispy coating. You may need to work in batches, depending on the size and amount of chicken.
- Remove the browned chicken from the Instant Pot and set it aside.
- Melt the butter in the Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Deglaze the pan with lemon juice and cook for 1 minute. Then, add Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and chicken broth.
- Return the chicken to the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and set the valve to SEAL.
- Select the Manual (older model) or Pressure Cook (newer model) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes. The Instant
- Pot will take approximately 5-10 minutes to come to pressure.
- Once cooking is complete, allow for a natural release for 2-3 minutes. Then, carefully use a long spoon to push the valve to RELEASE and remove the Instant Pot lid.
- If desired, thicken the sauce by making a cornstarch slurry (1 teaspoon of cornstarch whisked with 2 teaspoons of cold water) and stirring it into the Instant Pot. Press the SAUTE function and allow the sauce to bubble and thicken.
- Sprinkle the cooked chicken with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon the flavorful sauce over the chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken:
- To thicken the sauce, use a cornstarch slurry and allow it to bubble and thicken in the Instant Pot using the SAUTE function.
- You can use frozen chicken if you don’t have time to thaw it. Simply adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- If you prefer using a slow cooker, follow the same instructions for preparing the chicken and then transfer everything to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours until the chicken is cooked through.
- Pair this Lemon Garlic Chicken with a variety of sides like roasted asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, or cauliflower.
Storing Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken:
Once cooled, store the chicken in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. It can also be a great option for meal prepping. Simply add some vegetables and/or rice to a container along with the chicken and enjoy it throughout the week.
Can You Freeze Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken?
Absolutely! If you have leftovers or want to make a batch ahead of time, freezing is a great option. Allow the cooked chicken to cool, then place it in a ziplock bag, removing as much air as possible. Lay it flat in the freezer, and it will stay good for up to one month. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheating Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken:
When it’s time to warm up the chicken, you have a couple of options. One method is to heat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and warm the chicken in an oven-safe pan for about 15 to 20 minutes. Another option is to use a microwave, heating it slowly and flipping the chicken each time to ensure even reheating.
Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken pairs well with a variety of side dishes. While I chose roasted asparagus as a personal favorite, you can also serve it with broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, or any other vegetable of your choice. The bright and fresh flavors of this dish make it perfect for springtime or any busy weeknight.
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs, skinless or with skin
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced or minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish (optional)
Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Press the Sauté function on your Instant Pot (I used a 6 Quart DUO) and add the olive oil to the pot.
Place the chicken in the Instant Pot and allow it to sear on each side for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. This step helps seal in the juices and keep the chicken tender. If needed, work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using. Once browned, remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set it aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add the lemon juice to deglaze the pan. Cook for 1 minute, then add the Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and chicken broth.
Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEAL.
Select the Manual (older model) or Pressure Cook (newer model) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes. It will take about 5-10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure and start counting down.
Once the cooking is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 2-3 minutes. Then, using a long spoon, push the valve to RELEASE, and carefully remove the Instant Pot lid.
If desired, you can thicken the sauce by making a cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 2 teaspoons of cold water. Stir the slurry into the Instant Pot. Press the SAUTE function and allow the sauce to bubble and thicken up.
Sprinkle the cooked chicken with chopped parsley and serve it hot with your favorite sides. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
If using a 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO, the combination of 1/3 cup broth and lemon juice works well without any issues.
However, if you find that it’s not enough liquid for your Instant Pot model, you can increase the amount accordingly.
Feel free to customize your side dish choices. Along with roasted asparagus, other options like broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, or your preferred vegetables would complement the Lemon Garlic Chicken perfectly.
Enjoy the simplicity and delightful flavors of Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken. It’s a quick and easy dish that will impress your taste buds and make your busy weeknights more enjoyable.