These cookies are not only visually stunning but also incredibly delicious. Picture your favorite snickerdoodle cookies enveloping a velvety, cinnamon-infused marshmallow frosting with a hint of luscious caramel.
(If you prefer smaller portions, feel free to make them smaller. They will still be incredibly tasty and impressive!)
Creating the ultimate sandwich cookie requires two essential elements: a soft, chewy, and incredibly flavorful cookie, and a filling that can hold its own. This cookie sandwich checks all the boxes! I’ve taken my Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe and transformed it into a colossal version, perfectly complemented by a cinnamon marshmallow frosting and a caramel topping. But let me assure you, there’s a specific purpose behind this recipe creation.
The Magic of Cinnamon & Sugar
To achieve the perfect snickerdoodle, an impeccable coating of cinnamon and sugar is a must. When it comes to baking, I always choose the finest ingredients, which is why I rely on McCormick Ground Cinnamon. It elevates my colossal snickerdoodle cookies in every way imaginable! Selecting the right spices truly matters, and McCormick never disappoints. I’ve paired it with granulated sugar for optimal flavor.
How to Create a Colossal Snickerdoodle Cookie Sandwich
Let’s begin by preparing the dough. You may notice a slight deviation from my traditional snickerdoodle recipe: instead of cream of tartar, I add lemon juice. This addition allows the lemon juice to react with the baking soda, resulting in taller, thicker cookies—ideal for this cookie sandwich masterpiece.
Start by preparing the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Roll the cookie dough in the mixture, ensuring every side is coated evenly.
Place two cookies on a baking sheet and bake them at 375°F for approximately 15 minutes.
Once baked, remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool. While they’re cooling, prepare the frosting. Trust me; you’ll want to marvel at the sheer size of these cookies!
The Scrumptious Cinnamon Marshmallow Frosting
Prepare yourself for one of the most delectable frostings you’ll ever taste! It combines the perfect amount of cinnamon with rich marshmallow and cream cheese. Simply add all the frosting ingredients, including confectioners’ sugar, to a bowl. Using a handheld mixer, blend until creamy. Don’t be alarmed if it starts out dry and crumbly—it will transform into a smooth and glorious consistency once the cream cheese and marshmallow fluff incorporate the confectioners’ sugar.
I typically use about 1/4 cup of frosting for each cookie sandwich, but feel free to add more if you’re craving ooey-gooey deliciousness!
Note: For a runnier frosting, use 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar. If you prefer a thicker consistency, increase the amount of confectioners’ sugar. Given the variation in humidity across different regions during this time of year, it’s important to achieve the perfect consistency for your cookie sandwich. By following my tips for a runnier or thicker frosting, you’ll be all set!
Once you’ve added the frosting, use an offset spatula to spread it out. I don’t smooth it all the way to the edge because I love that glorious moment when you press the cookies together and witness the frosting spilling out!
Adding the Caramel Topping
For the caramel topping, I opted for a store-bought caramel sundae topping. You can choose between the easy-squeeze bottle or the thicker, spoonable caramel sauce. Alternatively, you can prepare homemade caramel using the following simple recipe:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter, and milk to a gentle boil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Cook the mixture until it thickens, which should take about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the frosting.
After making these cookies, you might find yourself sitting in awe of their beauty. But don’t just admire them—take a giant bite!
No, scratch that. Don’t just take a bite. Break the colossal cookie in two and marvel at the incredible cinnamon frosting and caramel filling! I assure you, the taste is as incredible as the appearance.
Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup (2 sticks / 227 g) unsalted butter, softened but not melted
- 1½ cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (4 ounces total), at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Vanilla Extract
- 2¾ cups (352 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons McCormick Ground Cinnamon
Cinnamon Marshmallow Frosting:
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 7 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cinnamon
Caramel Topping (optional):
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce per cookie sandwich
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line three cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand-held mixer on the highest setting, cream together the butter and granulated sugar for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then incorporate the vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined.
- With the mixer on low (or off), add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Then, add the lemon juice. Mix until just combined.
- Using a ½ cup measuring cup, scoop out the dough and shape it into rounded balls with your hands. Gently press them down to form a disc shape.
- In a wide bowl, mix the 3 tablespoons of sugar and 3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon using a fork or small whisk.
- Roll each cookie dough ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture, ensuring they are coated on all sides.
- Place two cookies on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a few inches of space between them.
- Bake the cookies for 14 to 16 minutes. They should puff up slightly and then settle after cooling.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the cinnamon marshmallow frosting. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the confectioners’ sugar, softened cream cheese, marshmallow fluff, and ground cinnamon. Mix on medium speed for approximately 3 minutes until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Take one large cookie and spread approximately ¼ cup of frosting on it using an offset spatula.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce over the frosting.
- Place another cookie on top and gently press down to create the sandwich. Repeat the process to make a total of three sandwich cookies. (You may have an extra individual cookie remaining.)
Enjoy the soft and chewy snickerdoodle cookies, infused with the tantalizing blend of cinnamon and sugar. Each bite is a heavenly experience, heightened by the creamy and luscious cinnamon marshmallow frosting. The frosting, with its delicate hint of cream cheese, melds perfectly with the cookies, creating a harmonious balance of sweetness and spice.
As you take that first monumental bite, revel in the sensation of the frosting oozing out and mingling with the caramel topping. The caramel adds a touch of decadence, its rich and buttery notes enhancing the overall indulgence of the cookie sandwich.
With every subsequent bite, you’ll discover a symphony of textures and flavors—soft and chewy cookie, creamy frosting, and a hint of caramel bliss. It’s a treat that not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also captivates your senses with its colossal presence and mouthwatering taste.
So go ahead, immerse yourself in the splendor of these Colossal Snickerdoodle Cookie Sandwiches. Prepare the dough, roll it in the cinnamon sugar mixture, bake to perfection, and assemble the sandwiches with generous layers of cinnamon marshmallow frosting. Don’t forget to drizzle that luscious caramel sauce on top.