If you’re a fan of onion rings, you simply cannot pass up this recipe! Each bite is a little bundle of pure, unadulterated goodness, wrapped in crispy bacon. Plus, these onion rings are cooked in a smoker, so you can say goodbye to the hassle of hot oil and greasy mess.
Before you embark on this flavor-packed journey, make sure to gather a few ingredients from the grocery store. You’ll only need onions, bacon, and my signature Best Sweet Rub. With just three ingredients and some quality smoking, you’ll be on your way to savoring these mouthwatering bacon-wrapped onion rings.
How to Create Bacon-Wrapped Onion Rings
The process of making bacon-wrapped onion rings is incredibly simple. Since there’s no batter or oil involved, you’ll save a considerable amount of time and effort.
Cut: Slice your onions into thick rings, aiming for a thickness of about 3/4″. Keep two rings together, as shown in the picture above, to ensure sturdiness on the grill.
Wrap: Take a slice of bacon and wrap it around the entire onion, securing the ends by tucking them in or using toothpicks. Use enough bacon to fully cover the onion.
Season: Once your onion rings are snugly wrapped in bacon, season them on all sides with the Sweet Rub.
Smoke: Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F. Place the wrapped onion rings directly on the grill grates and cook for 75-90 minutes, depending on your desired level of bacon crispiness. Remove from the smoker when the bacon reaches your preferred doneness.
Enjoy: Allow the bacon-wrapped onion rings to cool slightly before serving. These delectable treats can be enjoyed as a side dish, alongside a Smoked Hamburger, on a burger or sandwich, or chopped up and added to your favorite dishes.
Tips for Perfect Bacon-Wrapped Onion Rings
Before diving into the full printable recipe below, take a moment to peruse these helpful tips that will ensure your onion rings turn out spectacular:
Wrap with care: Make sure to wrap the bacon tightly around the onion rings to prevent unraveling during smoking. Toothpicks can also be used, but remember to keep track of them and remove them before serving.
Customize doneness: If you prefer softer bacon, start checking for doneness after 75 minutes of smoking. For fully rendered bacon with a slight crisp, cook for 90 minutes. For an extra crispy texture, increase the heat to 400 degrees F for the last few minutes, keeping a close eye on the seasoning to prevent burning.
Opt for regular bacon: There’s no need to get fancy with the bacon for this recipe. Regular thickness works perfectly fine. If you want a crispier bacon in less time, you can choose a thinner slice.
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Rub
- Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F.
- Slice the yellow onions into rings approximately 3/4 inch thick. Keep two rings together to create sturdier onion rings during cooking. Save the smaller inner sections of the onions for other dishes.
- Wrap each onion ring with a slice of bacon, ensuring the bacon is tightly secured around the onion. Use toothpicks if necessary.
- Season all sides of the bacon-wrapped onion rings with the Sweet Rub.
- Place the onion rings directly on the grill grates of the preheated smoker. Close the lid and smoke for a total of 75-90 minutes, depending on your desired bacon crispiness. Flip the onion rings at the 45-minute mark.
- Check for doneness after 75 minutes. For softer bacon, you can remove the onion rings from the smoker at this point.
- For fully rendered bacon with a slight crisp, continue smoking for the full 90 minutes. For extra crispy bacon, increase the heat to 400 degrees F for the last few minutes, keeping an eye on the seasoning to prevent burning.
- Allow the bacon-wrapped onion rings to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve these delightful bacon-wrapped onion rings as a side dish, appetizer, or topping for burgers. They are guaranteed to impress your guests and tantalize their taste buds.
Prepare yourself for a flavor explosion as you bite into the smoky bacon, followed by the sweet and tender onions. These bacon-wrapped onion rings will quickly become a favorite dish at any gathering. Enjoy!