Looking to enjoy some delicious funnel cake without having to leave the comfort of your own home? Look no further than this easy homemade funnel cake recipe! And the best part? You may already have all the necessary ingredients in your kitchen!
If you’re wondering whether funnel cake mix and pancake mix are the same thing, the answer is no. However, you can use pancake mix to make funnel cake batter in a pinch. This basic batter recipe may not produce the best pancakes, but it will certainly make a tasty funnel cake.
Not sure if you’ll use all the batter at once? Don’t worry! Funnel cake batter can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Just keep in mind that the batter may start to discolor towards the end of that time frame.
When it comes to toppings for your homemade funnel cake, the possibilities are endless! Some classic options include powdered sugar, cinnamon, and apple pie filling. For a more decadent treat, try adding vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or caramel syrup.
Ready to make your own funnel cake? Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Pour in the milk, water, and vanilla, and whisk until well blended.
- Add in the sugar, baking powder, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add in the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Cover the bottom of a heavy skillet with 1/2 to 1 inch of oil and heat to 375 degrees.
- Transfer the batter to a funnel or squeeze bottle.
- If using a funnel, plug the spout with your finger and ladle in about 1/2 cup of batter at a time.
- Drizzle the batter into the hot oil in a spiral motion until all batter has been used.
- Fry for about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Transfer the funnel cake to a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet to drain.
Enjoy your delicious homemade funnel cake while it’s still warm and crispy!