Indulge in the heavenly aroma of homemade bread with this mouth-watering Spicy Country Cheese Bread recipe. This bread has just the right amount of spice to awaken your senses and a cheesy surprise center in every slice that makes it perfect for a sandwich or snack.
Whenever I’m in the mood for something spicy and cheesy, I whip up a batch of this bread. It’s so good that it never lasts long on the table. The beautiful texture and delicious taste make it a versatile bread that can be enjoyed as a snack or used as a dipping bread for saucy dishes.
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces shredded or sliced Pepper Jack cheese, room temperature
- 6 ounces shredded or sliced Monterey Jack cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water, about 110°F
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon instant or rapid rise yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- Start by combining the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, and red pepper flakes in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, eggs, yolk, and butter. Add the liquid to the flour mixture and knead until the dough no longer sticks to the side or bottom of the bowl (about 10 minutes). Form the dough into a smooth ball and place it in a large, greased bowl. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, roll it into a 12×18-inch rectangle (generously flour the surface if it’s sticky). Sprinkle the cheeses over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border untouched. Roll the dough into a log and then roll the log into a spiral. Tuck the end of the spiral under the loaf and transfer it to a greased 9-inch round cake pan or Dutch Oven. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and place the oven rack in the lowest position. Brush the risen dough with the egg wash and sprinkle additional red pepper flakes to your liking. Bake the bread for 25 minutes, then rotate it and tent it loosely with foil. Continue baking for an additional 25 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan until it’s warm enough to handle, then remove it from the pan and transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
In conclusion, this Spicy Country Cheese Bread recipe is perfect for those who love a little kick in their bread. The combination of Pepper Jack and Monterey Jack cheese creates an irresistible taste, while the red pepper flakes add a spicy flavor that will leave you wanting more. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious aroma and taste of homemade bread!