Fish has often received a lukewarm reception due to being overcooked, dry, and lacking proper seasoning. However, once you experience the delectable flavors of a perfectly cooked halibut filet, you’ll fall in love with fish all over again. This grilled halibut recipe, infused with honey and lemon, offers an easy and mouthwatering way to enjoy a healthy meal in just minutes. Whether you prefer grilling outdoors or using your stovetop, this recipe guarantees a delightful culinary experience.
Discovering the Delights of Halibut:
Halibut stands out among the fish varieties we’ve tried, captivating our taste buds with its mild flavor and delicate textures. The secret to preparing fish lies in avoiding overcooking. As soon as the halibut turns white and can be easily flaked with a fork, it should be removed from the heat. The marinade used in this recipe complements various fish types, but halibut remains our personal favorite. Its subtle taste shines when accompanied by a spritz of additional lemon juice, adding a refreshing acidity to each bite.
Is Halibut a Good Choice for Healthy Eating?
Halibut is an excellent addition to a balanced diet, offering a wealth of omega-3 fatty acids. However, sustainability is a crucial consideration. While Atlantic Wild Caught Halibut is depleted and should be avoided, Pacific Halibut is considered acceptable and eco-friendly.
Exploring Fish Substitutes:
If halibut is not readily available, you can use other oily white fish varieties as substitutes. Fluke, flounder, and turbot possess similar characteristics that make them suitable alternatives. Additionally, for halibut steaks, cod or striped bass can be used to achieve satisfying results.
Selecting Fresh Fish:
When purchasing fish, including halibut, it’s essential to rely on your sense of smell. A fresh piece of fish should not emit a strong fishy or ocean-like odor. Opt for fish that smells clean and mild. If using frozen fish, ensure it is consumed promptly after thawing for optimal flavor.
Outdoor Grill vs. Indoor Cooking:
This versatile recipe caters to different cooking preferences. Whether you prefer the smoky flavors of an outdoor gas grill or the convenience of indoor cooking using a grill pan or regular large skillet on the stovetop, you can achieve exceptional results.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh halibut filet
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, honey, lemon juice, soy sauce, pepper, and minced garlic, creating a flavorful marinade.
- Portion the halibut by cutting it into 3 or 4 pieces using a sharp knife. Consider the serving size for fish, which ranges from 3 to 6 ounces, and adjust the portion accordingly based on the size of your filet.
- Brush both sides of each halibut piece with the liquid marinade, ensuring even coverage.
- Heat a pan until it reaches a sizzling hot temperature (a drop of water should sizzle and evaporate immediately upon contact). Sear the halibut for 90 seconds on each side.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking each side for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the fish easily flakes when tested with a fork.
- Remove the halibut from the heat and serve immediately, savoring the succulent flavors of the grilled halibut.
- Pair your grilled halibut with your favorite side dishes or a fresh salad to complete the meal. Enjoy the delightful combination of flavors and textures.
With this grilled halibut recipe featuring a delightful blend of honey and lemon, you’ll rediscover your love for fish. By avoiding overcooking and using a flavorful marinade, the delicate flavors of halibut shine through. Whether you choose to grill outdoors or cook on your stovetop, this recipe guarantees a quick, healthy, and delicious meal. Embrace the wonders of halibut and treat yourself to a memorable dining experience.