Discover the joy of crafting your own Homemade Mayonnaise, a creamy and delightful condiment that adds a burst of flavor to sandwiches, salads, and serves as a perfect dip. This recipe boasts a base of eggs and Dijon mustard, creating a luscious and versatile mayonnaise that will elevate your culinary creations.
Eggs: A key component in this recipe, it’s important to note that it contains raw eggs. If you are pregnant or have a compromised immune system, it’s advisable to exercise caution and consider alternatives.
Mustard: Dijon mustard takes center stage in this recipe. With its origins in brown or black mustard seeds and typically combined with white wine, Dijon mustard imparts a sharper and tangier flavor compared to its yellow counterpart. However, feel free to use either type of mustard based on your preference.
Vinegar & Lemon Juice: The combination of white wine vinegar and fresh-squeezed lemon juice introduces a delightful acidity to the mayonnaise, enhancing its flavor profile and providing stability to the condiment.
Oil: The gradual addition of canola oil is crucial in this process. Adding it slowly ensures proper emulsification, preventing separation and resulting in a smooth and creamy texture.
Storing Your Culinary Creation
Savor the freshness of your Homemade Mayonnaise by storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It maintains its quality for 3-4 days. Note that homemade mayonnaise is not suitable for freezing.
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups (480 ml) canola oil
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine eggs, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, salt, and sugar. Process for 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- With the processor running, slowly add the canola oil in a thin stream, ensuring a gradual incorporation. Continue until the liquid thickens and lightens, achieving a smooth emulsion.
- Store the Homemade Mayonnaise in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, ready to enhance your culinary creations with its creamy goodness.