Indulge in the delicious flavors of Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken, a homemade alternative to takeout that’s incredibly easy to make. With just 15 minutes of prep time, you can throw together this Asian-inspired dish and let it cook to perfection in your slow cooker while you go about your day. The result? Tender and juicy chicken breasts coated in a sweet and salty sauce that will leave your taste buds craving more.
The secret to the amazing flavor of this dish lies in the combination of low sodium soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and scallions. Whisk them all together in a bowl and pour over the chicken in the slow cooker. Let it cook on low for 2 hours until the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F.
Once the chicken is cooked, transfer it to a plate and tent it loosely with foil to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, transfer the liquid from the slow cooker to a small saucepan and whisk in a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Pour the sauce back into the slow cooker along with the chicken and toss to coat, ensuring that every piece of chicken is fully coated in the luscious sauce.
When ready to serve, slice the chicken into strips and drizzle on more of the sauce. Garnish with green scallions and sesame seeds for a burst of flavor and a touch of crunch. Serve this mouthwatering dish with steamed white rice and freshly steamed broccoli to complete the meal.
Want to elevate the dish even further? Toast sesame seeds at home for an extra layer of flavor. You can also swap out chicken breasts for pork chops and adjust the cooking time accordingly, or use chicken thighs for a richer and more succulent result.
What’s even better? You can add the cooked chicken back into the slow cooker, making cleanup a breeze and ensuring that the chicken stays warm until you’re ready to serve. Say goodbye to dirty dishes and hello to a hassle-free, delicious weeknight meal that will impress your family and friends. So grab your slow cooker and get ready to savor the irresistible flavors of Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (white parts for cooking, green for serving)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Place the chicken in the bowl of a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, minced garlic, and white parts of the scallions. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 2 hours, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean plate and tent loosely with foil. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the liquid from the slow cooker to a small saucepan. In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch until smooth and creamy. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce in the saucepan. Cook on high, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the thickened sauce back into the slow cooker along with the chicken. Toss to coat the chicken in the sauce.
- Slice the chicken into strips and drizzle with more sauce. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions and sesame seeds.
- Serve warm with steamed rice and vegetables.
For extra flavor, you can toast sesame seeds at home by placing them in a heavy skillet over low heat and stirring until they turn a dark golden brown. Allow them to cool before using as garnish. Additionally, you can swap chicken breasts for pork chops or chicken thighs and adjust the cooking time accordingly. Adding the cooked chicken back into the slow cooker makes for easy cleanup and keeps the chicken warm until serving. Enjoy the deliciousness of Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken, a homemade alternative to takeout that’s sure to impress!