Embark on a delightful culinary adventure with our Homemade Fried Wonton Strips – delicate wonton wrappers transformed into crispy golden delights. Perfect for salads, dipping, or a savory snack, these strips are incredibly easy to make. Whether fried to perfection in oil or baked in the oven, these versatile strips elevate your dining experience with their irresistible crunch.
Unveiling the Essence of Wonton Wrappers
Wontons, originating in Northern China, were initially deemed sealed buns. While dumplings are typically round, wonton wrappers boast a square shape and a delicate thinness that sets them apart. Today, we’ll explore the art of turning these wrappers into crispy strips of goodness.
Mastering the Art of Cutting Wonton Wrappers
For this recipe, we’ll use 30 wonton wrappers. Stack 5-7 wrappers and cut them into strips using a pizza cutter, creating dimensions of 3/4 inches (1.9 cm) by 3 inches (7.6 cm). Feel free to adjust the thickness or even cut them into triangles for added variety.
Ingredients for Crispy Perfection:
- 30 wonton wrappers, store-bought or homemade
- Canola oil, for frying. And check out How to Clarify Used Oil so you don’t have to waste it!
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) kosher salt, more or less to taste
Heating the Oil: A Crucial Step to Crispy Goodness
Ensuring the oil reaches a temperature of 360°F (180°C) is crucial for achieving that perfect crunch. Utilize a candy thermometer for accuracy, or employ these handy tricks:
- Wooden Spoon Handle Test: Insert the handle into the hot oil; steady bubbling indicates readiness.
- Bread Cube Test: Drop a 1-inch cube of bread into the oil; browning within 60 seconds signals readiness.
- Popcorn Test: Toss a kernel into the oil while heating; once it pops, the oil is ready.
Baking and Beyond: Exploring Variations
- Baking Option: For oven enthusiasts, place strips on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
- Egg Roll Wrapper Alternative: This recipe adapts seamlessly to egg roll wrappers cut into strips. Exercise caution, as these strips may cook faster in the oil.
Storage Wisdom: Preserving the Crunch
To store your wonton strips, allow them to cool completely before placing them in a sealed container or zippered bag. Enjoy the crispy goodness for 3-5 days.
Crafting Culinary Magic: Step-by-Step Instructions
- Stack 5-7 wonton wrappers and use a pizza cutter to slice them into 3/4 inches (1.9 cm) by 3 inches (7.6 cm) strips.
- Add about 1 inch of canola oil to a large skillet. Heat over medium heat until the oil reaches 360°F (180°C).
- Carefully place a quarter of the wonton wrapper strips into the hot oil, avoiding overcrowding.
- Fry until golden brown, approximately 1-2 minutes, or until the edges start to brown. The color will deepen after removal from the oil.
- Transfer the fried strips to a paper towel-lined plate, salt to taste, and repeat with the remaining wonton wrapper strips.
- Serve these crispy delights with your favorite salads or soups.